Also, I'll take this opportunity to say that "Rock of the Marne" is one of the most badass unit identifiers in the military.
WASHINGTON (Army News Service, July 14, 2009) -- Three division headquarters and eight brigade combat teams have been scheduled to support Operation Iraqi Freedom in the next rotation beginning this fall.The deploying units include a total of about 30,000 troops. The deployment window for the rotation will begin in the fall and continue into early 2010, officials said. The deploying division headquarters are:
- 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One), Fort Riley, Kan.
- 1st Armored Division (Old Ironsides), Wiesbaden, Germany
- 3rd Infantry Division (Rock of the Marne), Fort Stewart, Ga.
The brigades are:
- 1st (Forerunners) Brigade, 1st Armored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas
- 1st, (Warrior), and 2nd (Commando) Brigade, 10th Mountain Division, Fort Drum, N.Y.
- 1st (Raider) and 2nd (Spartan) Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.
- 3rd (Sledgehammer) Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Benning, Ga.
- 3rd (Iron) Brigade, 4th Infantry Division Fort Carson, Colo.
- 53rd (Gator) Brigade Combat Team, Florida Army National Guard
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Yesterday the Army identified which units will be the next to deploy to Iraq. Relayed here FYI via the U.S. Army website.